Job Title: Research Associate
Hours: Part-Time, Flexible
Contract: Temporary Contract or Free-lance
About the Young Foundation
The Young Foundation’s mission is to enable the development of connected, more sustainable and stronger communities across the UK. As a UKRI accredited Independent Research Organisation, social investor and community practitioner, we combine all our skills and expertise, to further that mission.
We amplify the stories and lived experiences of people in our communities, using this as a spur to drive locally-led community action and enterprise. We use what we learn across different communities to spot national patterns of need and opportunity, then work with national and regional partners to support and invest in new ideas to tackle those shared challenges.
About the Role
The Young Foundation is now looking to recruit a small pool of experienced and high calibre Research Associates to support delivery of specific, time-bound projects, both now and as they arise in future. As a Research Associate, you will be joining a small core team delivering a variety of innovative and dynamic projects which span research, innovation and investment. You will be comfortable working at pace and confident working across different sectors. We are looking for people with skills equivalent to Research Officer or Senior Researcher grade (typically 2-6 years’ experience) relating to:
- Desk research and evidence synthesis
- Quantitative data analysis, with a particular interest in people who have experience in handling large data sets, combining multiple data sets, and geographic analysis
- Data visualisation, particularly interactive mapping and dashboards (e.g. with Tableau or Flourish studio)
- Social researchers based outside of London and the South East with qualitative interviewing skills
You will balance one or more of these specialisms with the experience, credibility and professionalism to deliver high quality work. Social researchers seeking qualitative or desk research roles should be able to evidence strong writing skills.
You are likely to have:
- An understanding and passion for the role of research to support social and systemic change;
- Experience of contributing to research for public, private and/or social sectors
- An ability to work independently and remotely, with a knack for building trust with the people you work with; and be comfortable in cross-discipline and cross-sector teams
- An ability to work at pace, on dynamic and flexible projects
- Superb written reporting writing skills
What to expect from being a Research Associate of The Young Foundation
- Access to live opportunities to deliver interesting, innovative and impactful work; either on short term contract or freelance basis
- Being part of a passionate and driven team, focused on driving social change through research, community involvement and innovation
How to apply
The closing date for applications is Noon Monday 15th February 2021
Meetings will take place on 19th February. Please note, however, that as we have a number of live opportunities, suitable candidates may be contacted earlier.
Please send a letter (not more than 3 sides) setting out your interest in our work and relevant experience (including links to 1-2 published reports) based on the specialist areas identified above to email@example.com. Your letter should also include your day rate, confirm your right to work in the UK, and give details of your current availability.
You must have the right to live and work in the UK. Applicants who require a work permit in order to take up employment will not be considered.
The Young Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
We regret that we will only be able to reply, and give feedback, to short-listed applicants.
We look forward to hearing from you!