You can now watch The Young Foundation and The Institute for Community Studies’s event with the ‘poet laureate of civil society’ Robert D. Putnam and Shaylyn Romney Garrett. The event discussed their book; The Upswing, How America Came Together a Century Ago and How We Can Do It Again – a forensic analysis of the economic, social, cultural and political trends from America’s Gilded Age to the present day; showing how America emerged from an individualistic “I” society to a more communitarian “we” society – and back again. They explore one of the books’ key findings: that the US successfully climbed out of an age of deep inequality, polarised politics and individualism, led by a broad movement of young people, innovating locally and creating new forms of association. Robert and Shaylyn are joined by some of the UK’s leading social innovators to explore the relevance and importance of community-led change across the UK today.
- Imandeep Kaur, Co-Founder and Director, Civic Square
- Lisa and Jaidan, Trustees, Rekindle School
- Pat Kane, Journalist, Activist, Co-initiator at The Alternative UK
- Nick Hurd, Former UK MP and Government Minister
- Catherine Howe, Director for Communities at Adur District and Worthing Borough Councils
COVID-19 Posted on: 12 March 2021